By Wm H Newman; M J Clements; G W Cambron, 1886

one of the most noted of Union County's sons, is the man whose name heads this article. But few can boast a war record equal to Mr. Trumbo's; and fewer still have suffered his privations of life for home and country. He is the son of George Allkire and Charlotte Gephart (Cromwell) Trumbo. Mr. Trumbo was a farmer, born in Bath County, Kentucky, in February, 1808; married there and in the fall of 1857 came to Union. He died at his son's near Raleigh October 30, 1875. The mother of our subject is a descendant of Oliver Cromwell and was born in Williamson County, Virginia. Jacob Trumbo, subject's grandfather, was a farmer, born in Pennsylvania, married in Ohio and died in Bath County, Kentucky, before subject was born. His wife was Deborah Allkire, who was born in Ohio in 1766, and died in Bath County, Kentucky, in 1849.

Subject was born in Bath County, Kentucky, May 23, 1842, and in 1857 came to Union with his father and settled near Raleigh. Near here, February 1st, 1870, he married Mary Lyda Slack, daughter of Joseph W. and Mary (Reburn) Slack. Mr. Slack is a well-to-do river farmer, owning a large body of fine land opposite Wabash Island. Mrs. Trumbo was born in the old Slack mansion May 1, 1851. Subject has seven children as follows: Mary Lona, George G., Jessie C., Charlotte Lillian, Hattie S., Lula A, and Joseph A., the baby.

Subject was educated in the Union County schools and would pass for a man with better luck. He has a fine farm of 365 acres, nearly all of which is in a high state of cultivation. His residence in the northern part of Raleigh Precinct, opposite Wabash Island, overlooks the whole tract.

Ol, as he is familiarly called, joined the Confederate Army at Geiger's Lake on the day of the fight, and during the remaining years was in many hot fights; among them Geiger's Lake, Jackson, Tennessee, Fort Donoldson, and Bell's Station. During the whole time he was in the scouting service. In March, 1865, Ol, with Louis Napoleon Gentry and Jake Bennett, wrecked a train at Bell's Station, in which they were accused by Louisville papers of securing $1,500,000 in greenbacks, besides taking three hundred prisoners and destroying all the commissaries. The latter part of the story is right, but the paymaster with his money escaped. In his scouting expeditions our subject made many hair-breadth escapes. He was called by the Federals the Gray-horse Guerrilla, because of the beautiful gray horse he rode. This horse, on coming out of the bushes into the road could tell if danger was near. This horse was so well trained and educated that it was impossible to catch him napping. Frequently he has laid down side by side with his master on the same blanket. He was captured at Vincennes, Indiana, and taken to Evansville, but made his escape soon after.  Ol, as did many of the Union County boys, went out under Captain Jo. Barnett, but came home and afterwards enlisted under Adam Johnson. At one time there was a standing reward of twenty-five hundred dollars for Ol to be captured dead or alive. This order was issued by General Payne. As a scout he was out-lawed, and at the close of the war took the oath of an out-law, subject to any charge they might subsequently bring against him. Ol's old father was for a time held by the Federals to force him to surrender, offering to make him first lieutenant but to no purpose. Since the war our subject has been a prosperous farmer, and is to-day a citizen held in high esteem by his countrymen. He is a Mason in high standing and a Democrat all over.